Title: Scientific Data Analysis Code: CSCI 2000U
Instructor: Jarek Szlichta, jaroslaw [dot] szlichta [at] uoit [dot] ca
Office hours: Thursdays 5.00-6.00pm (except reading week), or Fridays after the lecture *by appointment*.
TAs: Alexander Keller, Alexander [dot] Keller [at] uoit [dot], Mariana Akemi Shimabukuro Mariana.Akemi.Shimabukuro [at] uoit [dot] ca
TA Office Hours (*By Appointment*):
Thursdays 09:00-10:00 UA 4029 & Thursdays 14:30-15:30 UA 4029
You should contact Mariana and Alexander to arrange for them to be there
Description and Course Outline: see Blackboard
Marking Scheme: Tutorials and Project 30% (10% + 20%), Midterm : 20%, Final Exam : 40%, Presentation/Participation 10%.
Late project submissions: 50% of the mark (within the first week).
Policies: Refer to following link. Refer to UOIT Faculty of Science academic policies
No book, readings will posted on Blackboard
Lecture Notes (always check newest version of the slides):
1. Introduction PDF
2. SQL PDF
3. Data Mining and Learning PDF
5. Huawei, Steven Yuan (Director, BigData of IT Division), 28th of September, Wednesday, slides posted on Blackboard
6. Apriori and Data Warehouses PDF
7. Spreadsheets Slides with vis. effects posted on Blackboard
8. Data Preprocessing PDF
9. Midterm Workshop (See control questions on Blackbaord)
10. Data Visualization PDF
11. R PDF
12. Classification PDF
13. Unix & Shell PDF
14. Classification and Clustering Analysis PDF
15. Globe and Mail, Morteza Zihayat (Senior Research Fellow), 18th of Nov (Friday) PDF
16. IBM, Frederick Gandolfi, (Senior Manager), Watson Data Platform, 23rd of Nov (Wednesday)
Tutorials start in the week of 19th-23rd of September.
Tutorial tasks will be posted on Blackboard
Tutorials will start in the week of 19th-23rd of September
Midterm: Fundamentals 21st of October Applications 26th of October BRING YOUR LAPTOP TO THE MIDTERM!
Project I report (1-5) is due to 28th of October, Friday midnight.
Student Presentations: 25th (Friday) and 30th (Wed) of Nov, copy your presentation to USB stick.
Project II report(6-10) is due to 3rd of December, Saturday midnight.
Exam: 13-Dec 3:30 PM 3 hours UA1120 BRING YOUR LAPTOP TO THE FINAL EXAM
Any student who misses an examination without a valid medical reason and documentation will receive zero for that examination/tutorial. Those with medical documentation will either be given a makeup exam/tutorial or will have the weight of the examination (final exam/midterm) added to the final exam.